Split Pea Soup
1 pkg (1 lb) dried split peas
6 cups of water
1 smoked ham hock
1 whole onion
salt & pepper
1. In a large soup pot, put water and split peas.
2. Add 1 T salt and 1/2 t pepper.
3. Peel a whole onion leaving the root end intact to keep the onion together.
4. Drop it in the water with the peas and seasoning.
5. Add the ham hock.
6. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately two to three hours, stirring frequently to make sure peas don't clump at the bottom. 7. About an hour before serving, peel the potatoes and carrots. Shred them either in a food processor, or with a
grater. Add to soup.
8. Simmer and stir until done (the peas will be soft and the soup thick).
9. Fish the onion and ham hock out just prior to serving.
Great served with corn bread.